An elderly person applying to stay in a nursing home must:
- Be physically or mentally disabled because of illness.
- Be semi-mobile, use a wheelchair or is bedbound, and needs daily care and help with activities like going to the toilet or walking.
- Have tried all other care options, such as hiring a domestic worker, or using day care, home care and other services.
- Be unable to be cared for at home by family or service providers.
- Pass means-test for long-term subsidies.
It costs between $1,200 and $3,500 a month to stay in a nursing home(before means-testing).
If you need more information or want help paying for the service, please speak to your service provider or the Medical Social Worker.
You can find nursing homes using the